Thursday, July 10, 2008

Movin' On

Well, my house finally sold. It was no muss, no fuss, no problem. I met the prospective buyers and they are so nice and had the decency not to go through my cabinets and drawers while I was standing right there. What a relief.

If you need a real estate agent, of course I recommend my friend, Mike Johnson. Mike and I met when we both worked at Public Service (Xcel Energy) as gas and electric meter readers in 1989 ( Wow, are there some interesting stories from the world of meter readers, but I digress). It takes two agents to make a transaction go perfectly smooth and the other player in this game is Les Pfenning. Either way, you can't lose with these two agents.

Funny, I might have listened to some of the other offers on my house if people would have been respectful and remembered that even though this house was on the market, IT'S STILL MY HOUSE. This applies to both buyers and their agents. It ended up being a good lesson for me regarding one of the Four Agreements: Don't take anything personally.

This will sound silly, but I'm glad this house will see bright eyed children on Christmas morning later this year when they come down the stairs to see what Santa left. It will also wish kids good luck on "first days of school" and pictures carefully made in class will hang on the big black side by side fridge in the kitchen. One of the 22 kids in the cult-de-sac will come by and ring the doorbell and ask if so-and-so is home and can they play.

They new buyers already have plans for the carpeting in the front room and stairs. I know how they feel; I couldn't wait to tear out the white carpet in the dining room (!!!) and the awful Pergo floor that was installed badly and looked like a picture of wood grain pasted to cardboard.

So now, I have to get my apartment lined up, and I know where I'm going and it's gorgeous. I have some navigating to do since Summer classes will be ending at the beginning of August, I have a Social Doc class going to Sante Fe that week, the Fall semester starts on August 11, and I close on the 15th and have 2 days to move. Did I mention I'm one of the students assisting at the DNC under the auspices of the Associated Press? It's a glorified gopher position, but I don't care. It looks good on a resume and it should a great place to learn. I hope they don't make me wear pantyhose.

So, the adventure begins.

No comments: