Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pre-Story Definition

I was sent a request for a pre-story, and not knowing exactly what that was, I asked Deb Hurley. This is what she sent me using the concept of Emily's Ride that's coming up soon. Here's her explanation and an example of what a pre-story should look like:

A pre-story (or an advance as I would call it) is a story telling people about what is to come. That's the focus. Afterward, usually the reporter has covered the event and writes the story about what transpired.

For example, last week you wrote a pre-story/advance about the meeting looking at the trails in Conifer on Sept. 23. In all likelihood you will cover the meeting on Sept. 23 and write a story about what happened.

So for the Emily's Parade/Ride, you will find out: what it is, when it is, where it is, what's new this year if anything, why it exists, etc.

In this case, the lead will be something like:

Hundreds of motorcycles will travel down U.S. Highway 285 on Sept. 26 as part of Emily's Ride. The third-annual ride and parade will begin at 8 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 26, beginning at Columbine High School and going along U.S. Highway 285 to Platte Canyon High School. The event commemorates Sept. 27, 2006, when a gunman entered Platte Canyon High School, held seven girls hostage and utimately shot and killed Emily Keyes.
etc., etc., etc.,

--more about what's going on
-- more about how people can get involved

This is one of the ways I learn best. I ask a question and I get an explanation and an example. Then I post it to a blog so anyone who's interested can see it. It seems to me this is an apprenticeship-type relationship, where someone who has the knowledge passes it on to someone who is learning in a one-to-one setting. I have always learned best that way, not sitting in a class suffering from a case of Deer In The Headlights Syndrome.

Some people are happy with this kind of learning arrangement, others are uncomfortable and think that learning should happen by trial and error. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Now both you and I know what a pre-story is and how to prepare it. I'm looking forward to doing both a pre-story and the follow-up article for Emily's Ride. Despite the tragic circumstances and I hope the perpetrator rots in hell, I love motorcycles and the spirit of people on bikes. "Hang loose" is their motto. That and "Keep the rubber side down."

No comments: