Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The beach






















Mission Beach is a beach with horny energy, a wind-battered seawall and a parade of people and bikes. The beach is a place where you can rent bikes and take a spin up an down the flatness and watch the curves of life as you ride by.

I spent a little bit of time and money in a cheesy beach shop, wrote a few stories on my computer, and walked up and down the old lined concrete walkway and ate licorice. I was tempted to rent a bike but I wanted to go slower and walk around. I watched seagulls fight for newly purchased french fries, a group of sand sleuths look for metal geegaws, walked on a pier that wobbled with each passing wave and was asked four times to take people's pictures. The pretty people don't say thank you, and the people who don't speak English smile a lot.

Up above, planes taking off from San Diego International Airport reminded me that time was short, and that I'd better not miss another flight like I did a few years ago.

The rusty bikes line up and wait for the next customer to plant their ass on them.

Mission Beach, California.

1 comment:

Jason...etc said...

Nice bike shot...I dig it.