Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 4 wildfire notes


Timing is everything; late in the morning on May 4 I was in Conifer when I received a call that there was a possible wildfire in the Conifer Meadows area.

I was about five minutes away from the address located on Blackhawk Road and Cochise Drive. I drove right up to where the flames where, only a few fire fighters were there trying to assess the blaze.

I had the only image of flames as they reached the trees around several homes.

The day was filled with much confusion and drama, and I had to leave the area to transmit the first photos of the fire, knowing I wouldn't be able to get back into the area. That was a judgement call on the part of our editors, not me.

If I would have had a way to transmit from the scene, I would have been able to stay longer. That kind of technology isn't available through our paper, you have to pay for it yourself.

Anyway, I got the first images of flames at the wildfire.


Etola Leipply, a resident of Conifer Meadows, is reunited with her dog, Serenity during the wildfire that occured on May 4.
Leipply said she was at work when she got the call from a neighbor, tried to go home but was stopped by police officers.

She he saw all the activity going on at the Staples center, with lines of horse trailers and animal control trucks and stopped there to ask if someone could go get her three dogs. Leipply ask Jefferson County Sheriffs Department Animal Control Officer, Christine Padilla if she could rescue her dogs, Serenity, Mercy and Elke. About a half-hour later, Padilla returned with Leipply's dogs and the reunion was sweet for all four.

“That’s our job,” Padilla said.

No comments: