Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Commencement 2009









Metro State College held its Spring 2009 commencement ceremony at the Colorado Convention Center on May 17, 2009. Over 1400 graduates received diplomas, adding even more people to the already challenging workforce, but the day was about celebration. I walked in December 2008, and photographing it was much less stressful than making sure I was in the right line. However, I always deal with issues of intense darkness and strobes, so true to form, I had to work out how to make images come out okay.

My favorite part of the event was the commencement speech given by former Rocky Mountain News editor, Rob Reuteman. He posted a copy of the speech on his Facebook profile, and I copied it and saved it. I really liked it.

It was fun to be there and watch so many friends from different departments graduate. Where do we all go from here? One line from Reuteman's speech stated that: "it will take awhile to make their (your) mark, and if it doesn't happen in the first two years, that doesn't make them a failure." I'm glad to hear that.

No comments: