Monday, August 25, 2008

AP@DNC--WOW!

Well, I wasn't ready for that.

I now understand why people don't really try to explain what goes on for photographers and assistants during an event like the DNC. There are no words to describe what you see and how things unfold.

We weren't allowed to take our cameras into the convention tonight, but I snuck in my little Coolpix and got a few shots when I wasn't trying to manage cards for 2 editors, 3 runners and 4 photographers. So, I'll try to image it with words instead of pictures.

The absolute shoulder to shoulder congestion on the floor and stairs inside the Pepsi Center is spectacular. Runners tonight couldn't get through the people wall without great difficulty.

Kudos to the runners for keeping track of their photogs and keeping all the cards straight. There's one "Camera Stand" pass and I have it. It means I'm one of the few people from the AP allowed on the levels that directly face the podium, so therefore I'm up and down the stairs and have to keep a watch out for runners coming my way, as well as letting the photo editors know when "notable" people are in the vicinity. Through talking with the runners, I know where the photographers are, and I can see some of the taller shooters, so it's also my job to let the editors know if there's something needs to be shot and there isn't anyone to take the picture. Add to that the band and all the cheering and it's hard to communicate through something other than hand signals or yelling loudly.

It truly is chaos.

No comments: