Saturday, August 9, 2008

Associated Press- Here we go!

On Thursday, a group of Metro students got the chance to meet with News Editor, Jim Anderson of the Associated Press bureau located here in Denver.

This wasn't just a random meeting. Many months of emails, questions, paperwork and waiting culminated in the selection of about 20 students from Metro State College to assist writers, photographers, editors and just about anyone else covering the Democratic National Convention starting at the end of August.

The office of the AP is located near 14th and Wazee in Denver, housed in one of the buildings on the site of the old Elephant Corral, an icon of Denver's historical past. The AP is on the lower level, with walls of old textured brick that document the building's age and link it to Denver's past. Fitting that the AP is in one of the oldest areas of Denver, as if to say that this bureau is rooted in Denver's past with a watchful eye on its future.

The office is small and space is a luxury, but these building are familiar to me; I used to read the gas and electric meters in this part of town when I worked for Public Service, and it's like coming to visit an old friend. I'm pretty sure I can find their big 5-dial and their demand along with a few commercials. Maybe even I'd find a closed loop on the mid-span or a DV in the BM.

This is a different time and place, and it's a different job. The main thing that concerned me was how we would be perceived by the staff at AP. This always affects me because I stand out from everyone else when I'm around my Metro peers. Sometimes it's a challenge to live life in two distinctly different worlds; successful student who knows to shut up and listen and successful adult who has navigated experiences from illness to inheritance. I was relieved they see us as part of the team and our individual talents and skills will be put to use regardless of where we are in our journey. Jim told us our experience and knowledge of Denver, its culture and community will be invaluable as the days ahead progress.

I felt like Jim and the Human Resource staff interacted with us as if we were professionals, and I have always loved that feeling. That straightforward treatment makes me want to do more, accomplish more. For me, for them. I don't mean the kind of intro you get when people want you to use the Pike Place Market method of selling fish, and what they're selling will stink like dead fish if you take it out into the workplace. I'm talking about being treated liked they're glad to see you, not that they're afraid you'll eat all the Hershey's kisses out of the candy jar leaving only yellow Jolly Ranchers.

We filled out our paperwork, had our ID's copied, and got a huge dose of excitement over our pending journey through the Democratic National Convention and the world of media communication. We're on our way.

Jim told us we're going to get a big old dose of chaos. Cool.

True to chaotic form, it's back to the AP for more paperwork and social security cards that need to be copied by Monday since we are considered employees of the AP and will earn a paycheck for our service. I'm ready to get started, not because I'm getting paid, but because there's a special excitement at being part of the process of setting all this up and watching it come to fruition.

We'll see what's coming next.

No comments: