Monday, April 14, 2008

Adieu to Piano

Making a choice between possessions and dreams, I do a lot of that lately.  Saying good bye to my grand piano has been harder than saying goodbye to my house.  My Weinbach has a sweet, mellow tone that sings with or without pedal. Friends who are professional pianists coax fiery melodies from her-Granados, Schumann, Beethoven.  
She will leave me soon and I grieve for the talent that faded through neglect.  I had dreams once of playing piano at the concert level, but as Ansel Adams stated: "You can be on the wrong side of the fence through lack of opportunity." One thing I've learned lately is that opportunity is something that is can be made, it's not always bestowed. 

I wish someone would have told me that 40 years ago.

Adieu old friend.

No comments: